M.A. in Experiential Education, Prescott College, Prescott, AZ, 2005-2007
- Oregon Teaching Certificate with Secondary Language Arts endorsement completed February 2007. Coursework for Art endorsement also completed. Master’s Thesis: “Experiential Education Programming for Teen Women’s Empowerment.”
B.A., Magna Cum Laude in English/Writing and Fine Arts, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, 1995-1999
- Member of: Fine Arts Honorary, inducted Spring 1998; Irving Bachelor Society, English Department Honorary, inducted Fall 1998; Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, inducted Spring 1999. Distinctions include Fowler Writing Award for Art History, Spring 1999; History Essay Award, Spring 1998; and Dean’s List, Fall 1995-Spring 1999.
Studio Arts Centers International, Florence, Italy, Printmaking & Art History, 1998
New York Summer Writers’ Institute, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1999
- Spanish Language Course & Immersion, La Casa en el Árbol, San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico, 2011
- Radiant Lotus Women’s Qigong teacher training, Lake Arenal, Costa Rica, 2011
- Art of Living, Portland, OR, 2010
- Reiki Mastery, Eugene, OR, 2010
- Scorer, Oregon Statewide Writing Assessment, 2006, 2007
- Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (S.I.O.P.): strategies for teaching ELL students, Eugene, OR, 2007
- Mind of Mentoring, Wilderness Awareness School, Santa Barbara, CA, 2004
- Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Reno, NV, 2002
- Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness Medicine Institute, Bend, OR, 2002
- Avalanche Level 1, Alpine Skills International, Truckee, CA, 2000
Academic Advisor, World Class Academy, White Salmon, WA, 2013-ongoing
- Responsibilities include curriculum design and development; teacher professional development; upholding accreditation standards; and general support for all academic aspects of the program.
- During January-May 2013, compiled accreditation review materials in preparation for Site Visit and review process.
- World Class Academy is a travel-based, accredited, private high school for elite kayakers and kite boarders. Students & teachers travel worldwide and engage in a full schedule of college-preparatory secondary courses, while training in kayaking or kiteboarding.
Language Arts Teacher, Eugene International High School, Eugene, OR, 2007-2009, 2011-12, 2013
- Taught International Baccalaureate curriculum for 11th grade students and multi-cultural I.B.-preparatory curriculum for 9th grade students (170+ students per school year). Emphasis on teaching college-preparatory essay & creative writing skills; integrating art and language arts; and fostering cultural competency. Curriculum emphasized culture, customs, history, and literature from around the world, including Latin America, Africa, Europe, and U.S. subcultures. Responsible for curriculum planning & development, daily classroom facilitation, assessment of reading and writing skills, & managing I.E.P.’s and differentiated lesson plans.
- Ongoing support for the International High School includes advising students with the IB Extended Essay, administering IB Oral Exams for Literature, and other contract work throughout the school year.
Guest Lecturer, Churchill Alternative High School, Eugene, OR, 2006-2007
- Facilitated experiential learning opportunities for students considered “at-risk”, learning disabled, and with behavior challenges. Courses included student-directed group mural projects in a mural class; student-centered research in “I-Search Research” class; & self-expression in poetry, mixed-media, and introductory art classes. This position was created so I could continue the work I began as a student teacher at this site.
Facilitator, Spencer Butte Challenge Course, River House, City of Eugene, OR, 2006-ongoing
- Facilitation of challenge courses requires catering each program to address the unique goals of a diverse range of groups, including people with physical disabilities; local professionals; all ages of school groups; and leadership trainings for educators & other professionals. Responsibilities include ensuring the physical and emotional safety of participants, while also challenging them to push their personal limits through interactive games, team-building initiatives, and low & high ropes elements.
Instructor/Facilitator, Various Outdoor Education Programs, River House, City of Eugene, OR, 2005-ongoing
- Planning and facilitation of recreation programs for groups of all ages, including art- & nature-based camps, surf camps, after-school programs, and a wide variety of other educational outdoor activities.
- Facilitated ATHENA, a semester-long art & nature-based program designed to empower teen women.
- Designed and facilitated programs for middle school students including student-centered art- & nature-based after-school programs; skiing and snowshoeing explorations, and indoor rock-climbing.
- Facilitated community events including RiverFest and Out in the Artdoors
Tutor, The Learning Center, Eugene, OR, 2005-2007
- One-on-one tutoring for University of Oregon students with learning challenges. Specialized in formal writing, study skills, environmental sciences, and Spanish language.
Instructor/Facilitator, Various Summer Camps, Eugene, OR, 2004-2006
- Mt. Pisgah Arboretum, Outdoor Adventure Summer Camps: art- and nature-based explorations for youth
- Destination Imagination, University of Oregon Summer Enrichment & TAG Programs: creative problem solving for middle and high school students.
- Not Back to School Camp: creative, educational symposium for “unschooled” teens
Director/Co-Founder, BlueAcademy Ocean Experience, Eugene, OR/Tahoe City, CA, 2001-2006
- Solely responsible for state incorporation process, acquisition of state and federal non-profit status, and all administrative tasks related to founding and running a non-profit educational organization. Coordinated marketing, outreach, fundraising, curriculum development, enrollment, and staffing for multi-faceted summer programs for high school students. Planned trip-specific logistics for programs in Fiji, Costa Rica, and the Bay Islands (Honduras) including risk management protocol, lodging, international transportation, leadership, daily menus, and daily activities.
Trip Coordinator/Teacher, BlueAcademy Ocean Experience, Summers 2003-2004
- Planned and executed experiential summer programs for groups of up to ten high school students in Fiji, Costa Rica, and the Bay Islands off Honduras. Responsibilities included leadership of activities and explorations, organization of transportation in foreign countries, administration of first aid in remote settings, meal preparation, responding to and managing group dynamics, 24-hour care for student needs, among all other details. Facilitated and delivered curriculum integrating field biology, ecology, environmental concerns, art, writing, cultural studies, team-building and Spanish with activities such as surfing, hiking, wildlife exploration, SCUBA diving, journaling, ultimate Frisbee, soccer, and zip lines.
Fine Art Framing/Gallery Assistant, LaFollette Gallery & Framing, Eugene, OR, Fall 2004-2005
- Hands-on work includes safe handling of fine art; archival mounting; handling and scoring large sheets of glass; finish work on frames; fitting; and all other details related to framing. Conservation/archival framing for local artists, university art museum, and general populace. Responsible for extensive knowledge of art techniques including specifics of printmaking, painting, and high-quality art reproduction.
Naturalist/Guide, Tahoe Trips & Trails, Tahoe City, CA, 2000-2004
- Leader for adults and families on hiking, biking and multisport tours throughout the western United States including Lake Tahoe, CA; the California Wine Country; The Grand Tetons, WY; and Southern Utah. Trip length/size varied from one-day guided naturalist tours for large corporate groups to five-day vacations for up to 18 people of mixed ages. Areas of expertise include Native American ruins and artifacts, geology, flora, fauna, useful plants, regional history and natural history. Activities included hiking, mountain biking, lake kayaking, canoeing, rafting, rock climbing, horseback riding, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. Responsible for all trip logistics including transportation, food preparation, first aid, and group dynamics including coordinating groups of varied ability levels.
Reporter/Writer, Sierra Sun, Truckee, CA, 1999-2000
- Sought out stories, conducted interviews, and wrote features and articles for weekly newspaper. Feature story topics included education, environmental issues, travel, and lives of innovative people. Responsible for finding stories, scheduling interviews, taking digital photos, writing copy, and meeting deadlines. Learned about small-town politics, especially in the education and environmental sectors.
Gallery Assistant, Brush Gallery, St. Lawrence University, 1996-1999
- Involved with every aspect of operating dynamic university art gallery. Innovative installations ranged from shows featuring tactile artists’ books to paintings by indigenous Amazonians, and a sand mandala by Buddhist monks. Emphasis on non-traditional view of art including concepts of transience and non-permanence, process-oriented creativity, folk art, feminist perspectives, and tactile art. Facilitated creative educational programs with local children including hands-on projects such as printing prayer flags from linoleum blocks and book-binding. Show-specific work has included design of interior space, measuring, hanging, lighting and text panels as well as behind-the-scenes cataloguing for a vast collection of prints, paintings, sculpture, and art books.
Freelance Artist/Writer, Various Settings, 1996-present
- See gallery of original art images.
- Commissioned to paint interior murals and signage, Hot Mama’s Wings, Eugene, OR, 2011
- Commissioned to paint large-scale murals at Not Just Breads, Eugene, OR, 2011-12
- Commissioned to paint altar backdrop and prayer flags, Radiant Lotus Women’s Qigong teacher training, 2011
- Travelblogs http://experienceisteacher.wordpress.com http://jessryansouth.blogspot.com/ & http://www.siezethisday.blogspot.com/
- Interior mosaics for private homes, Eugene & Springfield, OR, 2010, 2006
- Commissioned to paint interior murals for Body Now women’s fitness/dance studio, Eugene, OR, 2005-2006.
- Illustrations of animal tracks published in The Tahoe Rim Trail: A Complete Guide for Hikers, Mountain Bikers & Equestrians, 2002.
- Assistant to painter/printmaker Brooke Bishop, Truckee, CA, 2001-2004
- Original art pieces purchased for the permanent collection at Brush Gallery include artist books “Victoria’s Secret” and “It Finally Happened,” and linoleum woodcut print entitled “Wind Horse.” St. Lawrence University, 1999.
- Interior mural for Creative Responses to Global Warnings exhibit, Brush Gallery, St. Lawrence University, Canton, N.Y., 1998
- Interior mural in Dean Eaton Hall, St. Lawrence University, Canton, N.Y., 1999
- Literature of the Americas, 11th grade, International Bacchelaureate curriculum, I.H.S., Eugene, OR
- Global Literature, 9th grade, I.B. preparatory course, I.H.S., Eugene, OR
- Independent Projects (Community Service and Research Skills), 9th & 11th grade, I.H.S., Eugene, OR
- “You, Poetic,” 10th-12th grade Language Arts, Churchill Alternative High School (CAHS), Eugene, OR
- “Why?,” I-Search Research, 10th-12th grade Language Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- Poetry II, 10th-12th grade Language Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- “Creative Readin’ & Writin’,” 10th-12th grade Language Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR “Sketching Stories,” 10th-12th grade integrated Arts & Language Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- Mural-painting, 10th-12th grade Fine Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- Mixed Media Art, 10th-12th grade Fine Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- Introduction to Art, 10th-12th grade Fine Arts, CAHS, Eugene, OR
- Printmaking workshop, Not Back to School Camp (NBTSC), Bridge, OR
- Bookbinding workshop, NBTSC, Bridge, OR
- Creative writing workshop, NBTSC, Bridge, OR
- Yoga/meditation, NBTSC, Bridge, OR
SELECTED COMMUNITY SERVICE
Volunteer mentor, L.E.A.D., Eugene, OR, 2005-2006
Volunteer mentor, Survivors of Sexual Assault Support Group, North Eugene High School, Eugene, OR, 2006
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL & EXPLORATION
Leader of student trips to Tibet & Nepal, Summer 2014 and Thailand & Burma, Spring 2013.
Central America: Spanish immersion; indigenous cultures & Mayan ruins; & Pacific Ocean sailing, 2011
- Independent overland journey from Chiapas, Mexico to northern Guatemala exploring indigenous culture and Mayan ruins. Spanish language course and homestay in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico. Return trip via sailboat off the Pacific Coast from Costa Rica to Mexico as one member of two-person crew. Maintained blog http://siezethisday.blogspot.com and did watercolor landscape studies throughout journey.
Chile: Spanish immersion and earthquake relief, 2010
- Independent overland journey throughout central Chile, including surfing along the Pacific Coast and trekking in volcanic mountainous regions. Four weeks of volunteer relief work near epicenter of magnitude 8.6 earthquake, helping local families move, deconstruct damaged homes, salvage materials, and build temporary structures. Maintained blog http://jessryansouth.blogspot.com and created watercolor landscape studies throughout journey.
Baja, Sea of Cortez, and Pacific Coast, Mexico: Sailing and Spanish immersion, 2008, 2009
- Offered volunteer art class for community in La Cruz, Mexico. Studies in Spanish and watercolor.
Inca Trail, Peru: Spanish immersion, study of Incan ruins and culture, 2002
- Independent exploration of Peruvian culture and participation in 4-day guided Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu.
Eastern Europe: Ancient cities, art & culture, 2000
- Independent travel included explorations of Pompeii & Venice, Italy; various archeological sites on the mainland of Greece; the Ihlara Valley & Ephesus in Turkey; Zagreb, Croatia; and many other sites of cultural interest.
Other journeys have taken me to Russia, Finland, Sweden, Canada, Honduras, Fiji, and Slovenia.
- Spanish Language conversant, working toward fluency
- Writing: I enjoy writing, particularly non-fiction. I am proficient at teaching creative essay- and fiction-writing. Professional writing samples available upon request.
- Art: Drawing, painting (acrylic, watercolor, murals), paper arts (book-binding and stationary), weaving & mosaic
- Backcountry travel & exploration, naturalist awareness
- Desktop publishing, social networking, blogging, data organization (Excel, EasyGradePro)
- Organization & Efficiency: I am exceedingly organized and manage time efficiently and effectively.
- Personal wellness: I keep myself healthy by engaging regularly in yoga, qigong, dance, running, hiking, biking, meditation, surfing, gardening, and wholesome nutrition.
Jessica Schabtach, Head Teacher, Eugene International High School, Eugene, OR, email@example.com, (541) 790-8032
Melodee Soczek, Colleague/Former I.B. Coordinator, Eugene IHS, Eugene, OR, firstname.lastname@example.org, (541) 915-2892
Jordana DeZeeuw Spencer, Graduate Advisor, Prescott College, AZ, email@example.com, (928) 710-2797